Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Perspective and Priorities

It's incredible how perspective and priorities change, being on a journey like this with my mom. "One day at a time" finally has real meaning for me. So do all the sayings about living in the present. The past is nice, but it's done! The future can be too overwhelming. I have really found comfort in Jack Canfield's lesson in The Secret about driving all the way across the country in the dark, with only the next 200 feet ahead of you being visible with the help of headlights. It's possible to successfully navigate the entire journey by only seeing a little bit at a time. "Take the first step and the next one will be revealed." That has been an enormous turning point for me in the last month. I don't know what will happen with mom in any given day, let alone the next few weeks and months. I was driving myself crazy trying to see too far ahead. It's impossible! I just take the first step each day - call mom and see how's she's feeling and let her know how much I love her. That I can do!

My priorities have also evolved, secondary to this life-changing event. I find myself "cleaning house" of my usual activiities - I've gotten rid of the trivial, meaningless routines I had just a few weeks ago. Faith, family and health are my top priorities. Everything else can wait! I guess you could say that I've streamlined!

God is amazing! He has certainly made it perfectly clear to me what matters most in life! I do appreciate the blessings of strength and growth and faith He has given me in the last few months. Oh, that's another expression I'm finally understanding at a much deeper level... "let go and let God!" Now I get it!!!

No comments: